Thursday, May 3, 2012

Debate resources/conversation club information

As we´ve had debate activities in several of your classes and we usually ``debate´´ issues in conversation club, here are some resources and things to consider for the next time you´re in a debate activity:

``Debate is a formal contest of argumentation between two teams or individuals. More broadly, and more importantly, debate is an essential tool for developing and maintaining democracy and open societies. More than a mere verbal or performance skill, debate embodies the ideals of reasoned argument, tolerance for divergent points of view and rigorous self-examination. Debate is, above all, a way for those who hold opposing views to discuss controversial issues without descending to insult, emotional appeals or personal bias. A key trademark of debate is that it rarely ends in agreement, but rather allows for a robust analysis of the question at hand. Perhaps this is what French philosopher Joseph Joubert meant when he said: `It is better to debate a question without settling it, than to settle a question without debating it.´´´
idebate.org

Some basic debate vocabulary:

1. to start or contribute to a conversation:             2. alternatives to “I think”:
First of all, I would like to say/state that…                I would say/think…
To begin with, I…                                                           In my opinion…

3. to stress your personal opinion:                          4. to agree or disagree:
Personally, I think…                                                      I entirely agree with…
As far as I’m concerned…                                            I am of the same opinion…
As for me…                                                                    I totally disagree with…
As far as I can see…                                                     I see your point, however/but…

5. when you want to add something:                    6. when you want to “say the truth”:
In addition…                                                                 To be frank (with you)…
Moreover…                                                                   Frankly (speaking)…              
Furthermore…                                                              To say the truth…
Finally…

Some things to consider before your next debate activity (whether it´s in class or conversation club): what strategies can you use to successfully work as a team during a debate (for example, to make sure all group members speak?)
if working individually, how can you state your opinion clearly and still leave time to listen to and try to understand others´ arguments?  In other words, what can you do to hear from everyone in class/conversation club? 

As always, let me know what you think about this and/or other activities.  Is the content of the activities useful to you?  Is there anything that you´d like to work on or learn about that I´m not offering?
Post, facebook, or email me
cynthialmartinez0@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment