Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This week's conversation club topic: Corruption

Is talking about corruption "unpatriotic"?  In what spirit do we talk about corruption?
In order to discuss these questions (which is how we'll begin the conversation club on Thursday), let's look at the lyrics of one of the U.S.A's most misinterpreted songs:

Bruce Springsteen "Born in the U.S.A"

Born down in a dead man town 
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground 
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much 
Till you spend half your life just covering up 

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a. 
I was born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a. 

Got in a little hometown jam 
So they put a rifle in my hand 
Sent me off to a foreign land 
To go and kill the yellow man 

Born in the U.S.A... 
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce+springsteen/born+in+the+u+s+a_20024969.html ] 
Come back home to the refinery 
Hiring man said son if it was up to me 
Went down to see my v.a. man 
He said son, don't you understand 

I had a brother at Khe Sahn 
Fighting off the Viet Cong 
They're still there, he's all gone 

He had a woman he loved in Saigon 
I got a picture of him in her arms now 

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary 
Out by the gas fires of the refinery 
I'm ten years burning down the road 
Nowhere to run aint got nowhere to go 

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a. 
Born in the u.s.a., I'm a long gone daddy in the u.s.a. 
Born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a. 
Born in the u.s.a., I'm a cool rocking daddy in the u.s.a.


What do you think this song is about?
Is it patriotic?

This is how the Oxford English dictionary defines "patriotic":
1. Of or belonging to one's country.
2. Having the character of a patriot; worthy or characteristic of a patriot; marked by devotion to the well-being or interests of one's country.

See this link for the meaning of Born in the USA


What do you think it means to be patriotic?
Can you criticize your country and at the same time be patriotic?
Again, is "Born in the U.S.A" patriotic?

Just some things to think about as we begin our discussion of corruption in Brazil and the United States.


No comments:

Post a Comment