Monday, August 20, 2012

Curitiba/My birthday-Festa Junina


This year I got to spend my birthday in Curitiba. I woke up on June 6, and, though excited that it was my birthday, felt a little sad that I was so far away from old friends and family...(this is as sad as this post is going to get, I promise).
I start my usual Wednesday. I walk to the university, get there around 8:45 to start an oficina at 9:00, and prepare some materials to get started.
When I get there, however, I notice that some things are a little strange. The first is that Andressa, my Fulbright coordinator, is there though she doesn't have class and doesn't appear to have anything scheduled. The second is that in front of her on the table is a plastic box with a straw hat in it (which will make sense as you keep reading). The third is that she sees me and DOESN'T WISH ME A HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (My sadness level was slowly increasing at this point). The fourth is that, though attendance is usually not stellar at the oficinas, there is a group of students that always comes to that one particular session, and only a couple of them are there. When asked where the rest of the group is, they say things like, "oh, I'm not sure. I think they're still in another class...I'm not sure if they're coming today." So, after waiting a few minutes in the hopes of more arrivals, I start class with the few students that are there. I close the door and begin talking. Suddenly, I notice that people keep walking past the door to the classroom down the hall. Though I can sometimes see who it is and sometimes not, it's strange that there is so much commotion on a day when few people are usually on campus. I think nothing of it and continue talking. A few minutes later, Andressa walks in to our class and tells me that the department head needs the classroom that I'm in to hold a meeting..."why don't you use the classroom next door?" Andressa says.
I pick up my things, pack up the computer, and walk to the classroom next door into this...SURPRISE!



Obviously, I didn't actually walk into this classroom as it is seen in this picture, but you get the idea.
Andressa and her students had planned a surprise festa junina for me! It was one of the most wonderful surprises I'd ever gotten! Now, all the strange things that had been happening started to make sense.
Some captured special moments from the event:




Now, for those of you who don't know what a festa junina is, let me attempt to explain. Brazilians, please correct me if I'm wrong.
What I've SEEN of festas juninas (which literally means June festival/party) is that people decorate with the colored flags that you see in these photos, eat lots of typical foods (which I'll spend plenty of time on in a moment), dress up like "hicks" (straw hats, painted on freckles, uni-brows, missing teeth), and square dance.
What I have researched a bit and learned about festas juninas is that they are celebrations of the saints during the month of June (principally saints Anthony, John, and Peter). They originated in Europe as a celebration of the harvesting of crops in the month of June, hence the farmer theme.
Now, for the most important part, the FOOD of festas juninas. Which is all so wonderful...
Some typical things that seem to be served at any festa junina, at least here in Paraná, are the following:


Quentão
Wine, cachaça, cinnamon...along with some other delicious things. Need I say more?

Pinhão
These are seeds, similar to pine nuts, that come from the Araucaria tree. They are boiled and are a popular winter/festa junina snack. And...they are DELICIOUS.

Also, a whole slew of corn-based dishes, sweets, and much, much more

Again, a special thanks to everyone involved in the festa junina/surprise party! It was so special to me! I'll never forget it!

One more thing, that has nothing to do with festa junina, but has much to do with my birthday. After a morning of eating and celebrating in a typical Brazilian way, in my afternoon oficina session I received this:

Let's call it a little taste of home. Thanks, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment